Saturday, May 4, 2019

Week 12 Bloodchild

What is your reaction to the text you just read?

Very interesting also probably more grotesque than any of the horror we've read so far. I like to think of myself having a pretty good stomach but the description of all of the flesh and the grubs was very disturbing to me. At first, I was linking the plot to slavery and particularly to the breed of slavery we associate with America. But my reaction to the horrors of that event seems to pale in my reaction to this story. Which honestly isn't fair. Slavery was awful. So maybe the story is about a different kind of slavery. I would argue that this story could be connected to sexual slavery because the intrusion is so personal and also might end in pregnancy.

What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what you were able to connect?

I think she did an interesting thing to go from relative comfort to horror quite quickly. She set up a world where the people, who don’t seem to have any freedom of choice and are constantly drugged up, are paired with the Tlic in a very personal relationship. Everyone has a personal stake and that's what limited revolution. Often in revolution stories, the leaders are individuals and their followers are more of a makes mass. This reminds of the very personal collection between slave and slave owner that can exist. Through that manipulation of relationships, the owners may keep people from revolting.

What would you do to adapt it into another medium?

So I feel like it would be best suited for a comic. If we wanted to maintain the sense of graphic horror, I feel like a movie would ask the audience to believe the special effects too much. That tends to be how I cope with horror in movies. I know that they are actors playing against a green screen or puppet. What was so effective in this book was that it all exists in the same reality: there are no actors. I think a comic or graphic novel would be the best way to retain that real an unavoidable horror. Plus I am interested to see the character designs of the Tlic, animals and Preserve world.

No comments:

Post a Comment